Thursday, September 22, 2016

A purr-fectly weird predicament

Heavenly Father help me, for I am in a situation. The rest of my earthbound friends can read this. For those of you who are unaware, I work at the library in Campbell, Missouri. I have a regular who comes in and is...well, something of an old SOB. He has cats, and he recently fed Mama and me this big load of hogjaw about getting a girlfriend, moving to Charleston, and having to get rid of two of his four cats. In the past I made the folly of admitting that I love calico cats, and so I ended up agreeing to take his calico plus a small torbie kitten that she supposedly has adopted. Said calico was extremely rotund, but her erstwhile owner insisted that she wasn't pregnant.
Joke's on me. Callie (as I named her) is now barricaded in the laundry room with everything a cat needs to survive for an evening on her own. It has become clear that despite her previous owner's prior claims, Callie is indeed pregnant and apparently in the early stages of labor. The last time I dealt with a cat in labor was fourteen years ago, and all I did was make the diagnosis. There's nothing I can really do now but make sure Callie is comfortable and wait for morning. I am positive now that everything this man told me is a lie; that he isn't really moving and just wanted a pregnant cat out of his hair. I am also certain that the smaller cat Lily is indeed Callie's baby, as they share similar patches of calico fur. I have unfortunately had to separate Callie from Lily for the night, so Lily is now behind my ear behaving herself. I can only pray that all will go well for poor Callie, and I humbly ask y'all to do the same. As frustrated as I am right now I'm glad Callie has a warm place to deliver these kittens, and not some run-down joint that reeks of cigarette smoke. PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR ANIMALS!!!
Love always,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart for rescuing these cats. I am sure that you will be a much better caretaker than the original owner. I have 1 dog and 2 cats, all from shelters. I used to volunteer for a dog rescue and have fostered approximately 30 different dogs over time. I am in total agreement with you about getting your dogs and cats spayed and neutered as young as possible. I hope your Callie has a successful deliver and the babies are healthy and that you are able to find loving homes for them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phyllis. I guess she wasn't in labor as much as I thought, because morning came and there were no kittens, no extra fluid, nothing. I'm just going to watch her closely today.

      Delete