Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Kitten Watch 2016: the end

We took Callie and Annabelle to the vet yesterday as promised.  Annabelle will need to have surgery on her sinuses in one week.  The vet says it will be strictly exploratory, to see if there are any foreign bodies or dead tissue causing the infection.  I'm nervous of course, and it'll be expensive, but I'm willing to do anything for my Annabelle.

The news with Callie started off good.  Dr. Kyle said she was fine except for a few fleas, and that she should have her kittens in two weeks.  Feeling relieved, I took both cats home and went out with Mama to get something to eat.  When I returned to my place I saw a tail sticking out of Callie's backside.  I thought "Okay, Dr. Kyle was off by two weeks.  I'll leave her alone until she's through."

So I made Callie comfortable, took Lily in the bedroom, and lay down to try and relax.  An hour or so went by...and then lo and behold Callie appeared in my doorway meowing.  "Absolutely not," I thought, "that cat is not having her kittens under my bed."  Then I noticed that the first kitten was still hanging from Callie's vulva!  Horrified, I reached down to see if I could offer any assistance.  The second I touched the kitten I knew it was dead.  It was not moving, and it was cold to the touch.  I considered pulling, but Callie didn't like that idea.  So I called her back to the laundry room and shut the door.  Two hours later I went back and found that she'd miscarried not one, but two babies.  The first one was bigger than a newborn kitten should be, and it was completely hairless.  The second one though, was perfect.  It was black and white.  I buried them in the front yard.

I left Callie alone for the night and went to bed hoping that would be the end of it, but no.  When I went to check on her this morning I found two more babies.  They were deceased as well, and I buried them next to their littermates.  So I want to thank those of you who've been following Kitten Watch 2016.  I wish it could've ended more happily but what can one do?  Dr. Kyle said she was perfectly healthy.  The silver lining is that right now Callie is indeed doing fine.  She's moping and sad of course, but otherwise she appears to be fine.  She goes back to the vet tomorrow just to be sure, and as soon as I can I plan on getting her spayed so this doesn't happen again.  I'll just toss this on the pile of bad things that sometimes happen when one owns pets, and I'll look forward to the years of happiness that I'll hopefully have with Callie, Lily, and the others.

God bless y'all,
RagingMoon1987

No comments:

Post a Comment